Top 10 Best Programmable Thermostats 2022 Reviews • VBestReviews
Programmable thermostats save you money and time by automating the heating and cooling process in your home. An effective thermostat reduces the strain on your system to give you more stable temperatures and control over your home environment. Purchase one of the best thermostats to manage your home from anywhere to get the most effective heating and cooling efficiency.
What to Look for When Choosing a Programmable Thermostat
Table of Contents
- 10. Emerson 1F78-151 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat
- 9. Orbit 83521 Clear Comfort Programmable Thermostat
- 8. LuxPRO PSP511LC 5-2 Day Deluxe Programmable Thermostat
- 7. Honeywell TH9320WF5003 Wi-Fi 9000 Color Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat
- 6. Lux Products TX9100U Universal 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
- 5. Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day Programmable Thermostat
- 4. Lux Products TX9600TS Universal 7-Day Programmable Touch Screen Thermostat
- 3. Honeywell RTH2300B1012/E1 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat
- 2. Sensi Smart Thermostat
- 1. Nest Learning Thermostat
Several kinds of thermostats exist, including heat only, cool only, single stage heating and cooling, multi-stage, electric heat, heat pump, fan coil and millivolt systems. However, the choice depends largely on the type of unit currently installed in your home. For most homes, a multi-stage unit provides the best option. For the most control, consider buying a learning system that learns your preferences and makes automatic adjustments based on your usage. Additionally, purchase a system that gives you remote control of your heating and cooling system.
10. Emerson 1F78-151 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat
Choose this system for simple and automated single-stage heating, cooling and heat pump systems. Select the option to use a different schedule on the weekend for the best efficiency. This system makes it possible to save some money when you leave for work while bringing the home down to the perfect temperature before you return from work. The unit also uses batteries for the best compatibility and performance.
- Simple programming options
- Offers weekend and weekday programming
- Battery-powered for increased compatibility
- Not suitable for all systems
- No adjustable swing
9. Orbit 83521 Clear Comfort Programmable Thermostat
The gorgeous display on the Orbit thermostat offers a contemporary look with a warm backlight to easily note the current temperature reading. For a perfectly timed adjustment to the temperature, the early start mode makes it easier than ever to ensure the right temperature gets reached by the programmed time. With a 7-day programmability, adjusting the temperature for each day becomes a breeze. Fall in love with this single-stage thermostat and enjoy up to four programming periods per day, which makes it easy to schedule temperatures for waking up, leaving for work, coming home and going to sleep at night.
- 7-day programming option
- Set four periods per day
- Early start mode for better reliability
- Suitable only for single-stage systems
- Doesn’t offer remote options
8. LuxPRO PSP511LC 5-2 Day Deluxe Programmable Thermostat
Make a distinction between your weekday and weekend with this battery-powered thermostat that uses an adjustable swing from 0.5 to 3 degrees. This enables greater efficiency since your thermostat won’t have to start and stop constantly to maintain an exact temperature. A visible backlight makes viewing the current temperature and settings easy and concise. Additionally, the system uses different programs for heating and cooling for a simple and effective operation. If the programmed temperature doesn’t work for you, the convenient up and down buttons make temporary adjustments to the temperature a breeze.
- Adjustable swing for better efficiency
- Strong backlight increases viewability
- Temporary adjustment options
- No automatic switching between heating and cooling
- You must manually program your schedule
7. Honeywell TH9320WF5003 Wi-Fi 9000 Color Touch Screen Programmable Thermostat
For a full-featured system that uses a wireless design, you can easily adjust the temperature while away from your home. Superior energy-saving features help you save money on your heating and cooling bill, and the 7-day adjustable programming options offer ultimate control and functionality. Customize the display, get on-screen comfort information and get accurate indoor and outdoor temperature and humidity readings. Easily make changes to your home with the Total Connect Comfort app that works on both Android and Apple systems. Additionally, the touch screen system gives an increased level of interaction for an intuitive operation and superior design.
- Wireless design
- Touch screen with a color display
- Customizable display
- Additional app required for remote features
- Some users may dislike the complex options available
6. Lux Products TX9100U Universal 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
Perfect for every system, this thermostat offers functionality for single- and multi-stage heat pumps. In addition, the system also supports second-stage cooling for the greatest compatibility. In fact, you can use this system with all systems with the exception of electric baseboard units. Achieve fast programming with the Lux speed slide for simple programming. Choose from two to four programmable periods per day, and make finite adjustments for every day of the week. The one-touch display makes it easy to read the temperature, day and currently active system.
- Single- and multi-stage system compatibility
- Includes second-stage cooling support
- Fast programming options
- Minimal touchscreen functionality
- Doesn’t provide remote options
5. Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day Programmable Thermostat
Forgetting to change your filter won’t happen when you install the Honeywell 5-1-1 Programmable Thermostat. Utilizing an exclusive Smart Response Technology, you’ll get superior temperature control year-round. Change automatically between heating and cooling to ensure the temperature stays within the range you specify on the unit. Use this system with heating and cooling systems and single-stage heat pump systems for greater compatibility. The 5-1-1 system makes it possible to use a separate schedule for Saturday, Sunday and weekdays.
- Program seperate weekday, Saturday and Sunday schedules
- Suitable for heat pump systems
- Smart Response Technology improves efficiency
- Filter change options require manual adjustments
- Automatic heating and cooling can increase utility bills
4. Lux Products TX9600TS Universal 7-Day Programmable Touch Screen Thermostat
Universal compatibility and a touch screen display separate this unit from its lower-level models. Select from two or four programmable periods per day with options to control each day individually. Enjoy adjustable heating and cooling temperature limit stops to prevent the system from going beyond a specified temperature. An energy use monitor makes controlling your usage easier than ever, and you’ll also enjoy a temporary temperature override for greater utility and convenience. If your household includes children or long term guests, the touch pad lockout option ensures only you can make changes to the system. Convenient controls, simple usability and great energy savings make this unit an excellent value.
- 7-day programming options
- Touch screen for advanced programming
- Set heating and cooling limits
- Touch pad lockout system can be bypassed easily
- Doesn’t offer a remote control option
3. Honeywell RTH2300B1012/E1 5-2 Day Programmable Thermostat
Program four periods a day, and use this system with heating, cooling and heat pumps that don’t use auxiliary heat. This unit won’t work with electric baseboard heat or multi-stage HVAC systems. However, this unit does provide exceptional temperature control, and you’ll enjoy a consistent and even temperature with minute +/- degree controls to get the perfect temperature. The backlit digital display provides improved functionality and simple programming so that you can enjoy the right temperature depending on the day of the week.
- Works with virtually any heating and cooling system
- Backlit display for easy readability
- Simple programming options
- Doesn’t work with electric baseboards
- Only offers programming for weekends and weekdays
2. Sensi Smart Thermostat
Get smart with a thermostat that J.D. Power ranked as the “Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Smart Thermostat.” When it comes to Wi-Fi thermostats, this unit works in more homes than any other brand. Many homes require a C-wire for HVAC applications, but this unit does not. Once you connect the unit to your home network, you can control the system from virtually anywhere you have a wireless connection. The 7-day scheduling option makes it easy to get the perfect heating and cooling settings throughout the week. Additionally, connect the thermostat to Amazon Alexa for voice control using the Wink app. Suitable for electric heat and air, gas, radiant, heat pump, dual fuel heat pump systems, geothermal systems and single-stage systems, this unit works for virtually every kind of unit.
- Works with most any unit
- Offers wireless controls
- Compatible with voice control systems
- Require Amazon Alexa for voice control
- Doesn’t offer automated learning
1. Nest Learning Thermostat
An automated learning system makes it easier than ever to achieve perfect temperatures. The system takes note of how you adjust the system, and it sets a suitable program within a week to suit your needs. It senses when everyone leaves the house and can adjust the temperature accordingly to help save energy. Once connected to Wi-Fi, the system allows you to control the system through your phone, tablet or laptop. The system even knows when you look at it, and it brightens up to show you the current time, temperature or weather. With an energy-star rating, this unit can help you cut down on excess costs for the best possible savings on your utilities.
- Learns your preferences and creates a schedule
- Knows when you’re looking in its direction
- Provides time, temperature and weather readings
- Automated learning options are limited to people with erratic schedules
- Must use Amazon Alexa for the best utility